Peter A. Dettlingbborn October 15, 1972 in Sedrun-Switzerland, is a multiple award-winning photographer and painter whose passion for the natural world has taken him all over the globe, from the Galapagos Islands to Canada’s far north, and from the African Plains to the Swiss Alps. Although Peter didn’t pick up a camera before 1997, his images have already been published in numerous magazines, calendars, books and featured in gallery shows across North America and Europe, including the world- renowned American Museum of Natural History in New York & the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington D.C.
Since his childhood, Peter has been deeply moved by people who work passionately for saving the last remaining pristine environments and the wild animals that live in them. Peter hopes his art will promote a better relationship between humans and nature, in particular, with large predators, such as wolves and bears. Most recently, Peter Dettling was one of the first to photograph a wild wolf on Swiss soil, after they started to make a shy comeback in the Alps late in the 20th Century. To learn more about his work on wolves and bears, click here. Peter also often works closely together with highly respected NGOs, such as the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
All of the images on this homepage depict real wild places and free roaming animals. None of the photographs were arranged or manipulated. They capture the essence and diversity of the world’s last great places. Why is this statement important? Click here to find out. In 2002 the artist moved from Switzerland to Canada. He resides now in the Canadian Rocky Mountains near Banff National Park. A permanent exhibition of Dettling’s photographs and paintings can also be found at his gallery in Canmore Canada (www.terramagica.ca) and Sedrun –Switzerland (www.sedrungallaria.ch).
Peter Dettling’s images have won numerous prestigious awards, such as:
- Nature’s Best Magazine, USA 2006 (Category Winner)
- Banff Mountain Film & Book Festival, Canada 2006 (Category Winner),
- Teva Mountain Games, USA 2006 (Category Winner)
- CPAWS, Canada 2004, 2005 & 2006 (Category Winner)
- Canadian Geographic, Canada, 2005 (Category Winner)
- Travel Photographer of the Year, England 2006 (runner up)
- Glanzlichter, Germany 2005 (highly honored)
- BBC- Wildlife photographer of the year, Great Britain 2005, 2007 (finalist)
- European Nature Photographer of the year 2008 (highly commended)
View award winning photos here.